Sunday, December 13, 2015

7 Reasons Why I Love Gaudete Sunday


The third Sunday of Advent is known as Gaudete Sunday. Gaudete Sunday takes its name from the first word of the Entrance Antiphon at Mass which proclaims:
 
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice!"

which reads in Latin as "Gaudete in Domino semper: iterum dico, gaudete." (Sounds so cool in Latin doesn't it?)

Here are 7 reasons why I love Gaudete Sunday:

1. It's our family's personal feast day. Our last name is Gaudino - which derives from the Latin word gaudium which means joy, and so we feel a personal connection to Gaudete Sunday and the spirit of joy and rejoicing in the Lord which it exudes!

2. Everyone wears pink. Ok, alright, don't get huffy on me now - I know the technical, liturgical name for the color of the vestments the priest wears is rose, but pink by any other name is still pink!

3. It's a break from the penances of Advent. (Can anyone say unlimited dessert?). Advent is a penitential season, similar to that of Lent - a season of prayer, repentance, fasting and preparation. Like its counterpart Laudare Sunday in Lent, Gaudete Sunday offers us a respite from the rigors of the penitential season - a time to rejoice and celebrate!

4. It reminds us that joy can co-exist with struggle and suffering. Situated in the midst of a penitential season, Gaudete Sunday is a reminder that joy can be found even in the midst of struggle and pain. The Nativity of the Lord is a perfect example of this reality. To say that Jesus was born in less than desirable circumstances is an understatement. His was not the birth experience most of us Moms dream of. Yet, despite the dire surroundings, joy filled that manager in Bethlehem in a way that we can scarcely imagine. This Gaudete Sunday, ask the Lord for the grace to see beyond the struggles in your life to the joy that only He can bring.

5. The readings are full of joy. Listen to the words of the first reading from the book of Isaiah: "I exult for joy in the Lord, my soul rejoices in my God, for he has clothed me in the garments of salvation." What a powerful proclamation of the reality of saving power of Jesus! Say this passage out loud every morning for the remainder of Advent - let it's words seep into your heart and transform your life.

6. Christmas is getting closer!  Gaudete Sunday marks the beginning of the final preparations for Christmas - in my house the excitement in the air (especially in my children) is palpable. It is traditionally the day we put up our Christmas tree and begin wrapping gifts, baking cookies and gearing up towards the celebrations we will have with family and friends.

7. It's my birthday! Ok, so the way the church calendar works, Gaudete Sunday isn't always celebrated on my birthday, but this year it is!  Double blessings! Thank you Lord for the gift of life - help me to surrender that gift fully to you this year. May your light shine ever more brightly through my life in this year ahead.

For more quick takes head on over to This Ain't the Lyceum.
For more posts on celebrating the 3rd Week of Advent visit the Catholic Bloggers Network or Day by Day in Our World

10 comments:

  1. WOW! Those are some awesome reasons to love GS! Happy Birthday! Found you at 7 QT link up! I blog over at "A Slice of Smith Life" (www.asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com)

    Come by for a visit anytime! God bless and have a blessed GS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!! We love Guadete Sunday as well! Enjoy your day, and Happy Birthday!! http://childrenofthechurch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going on my list of things to help me with Christmas and Advent.

    On the other hand, I see on the sidebar that you have many other articles that I must read asap. Unfortunately, my Internet time is very limited :-(

    I love the way you have numbered lists in many posts! That really helps me!

    Of course, Happy Birthday! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaudete Sunday is my favorite Sunday of the liturgical year. It was through the sight of an elderly priest in rose colored robes that God made me, a new believer of a few months, aware of the Catholic Church. The sight captivated me and when I attended my first Mass a few weeks later I knew I had found the Church God was calling me to. Every Gaudete Sunday for the last 40+ years I have experienced a special joy at the sight of those robes and the reminder of how much God loves us. Happy Gaudete Sunday everyone! Happy Birthday Saints 365!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a beautiful testimony!

      Delete
  5. Spreading Joy and Peace for Advent and Christmas Season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! It's such a great Sunday and I love how joyful the readings are also. Thanks for sharing!

    Lexie
    http://www.thegenesisfeminist.com

    ReplyDelete